This area of seven hectares stretched between Karlbergs allé (today's Karlbergsvägen), Torsgatan, Hälsingegatan and Odengatan. After the death of the brothers the property was donated to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (the Bergianus Foundation was established) and remained on the same site up until 1885 when it was moved to Frescati because of new development in the area.

Map showing the location of the Garden during the 18th century
The garden was located between the present Karlbergsvägen, and Vasaparken in Stockholm


The grounds and the dwelling-house were acquired in 1759, and at the beginning the brothers intended it as a summer retreat from their work in the city. Peter Jonas practiced as a medical doctor and Bengt was a bank commissioner and a historian. In the 1760s, Peter Jonas's aim was to create a botanic garden for scientific purposes in Stockholm, and he became a supervisor of this work at the medicinal herb garden of the Serafimer Hospital. On account of financial difficulties and problems with decision-making it was soon closed down, but the garden at Bergielund still flourished.

At Bergielund, besides outdoor plantations, there were greenhouses, a tobacco barn and a mansion. Working on the estate were gardeners, farmhands, maids and a couple of coachmen. In addition the brothers had a housekeeper who was very close to them. At times, when there was a lot of work to be done, more servants were called in. In his diary Bergius writes about "dalkullorna" (women from the province of Dalarna) who threshed and "gummorna" (the old women) who planted rhubarbs. Cows and horses, an ox, a peacock and a few beehives belonged to the estate as well.